The Ministry of Energy, Development and Environmental Protection and Environment Agency Austria (Umweltbundesamt) are working together on the Twinning Project “Strengthening Institutional Capacity in Hazardous Waste Management”. The objective of this project is to contribute to the harmonization of Serbian hazardous waste legislation with EU legislation and promote best practices in the field of hazardous waste management.
The Expected Results are:
- National plans for specific hazardous waste streams designed and submitted for adoption.
- By-laws for selected hazardous waste streams prepared and submitted for adoption
- Institutional capacity for hazardous waste management enhanced.
- Pollution “hot spots” (sites contaminated with hazardous waste) identified and prioritized for remediation
- Hazardous waste communication strategy designed and implemented
These results will be achieved through close cooperation between Serbian and Austrian experts as well as specialists from other EU Membership Countries. The parties will together hold workshops, study trips, draft relevant documents such as by-laws and manuals and training will be delivered to relevant stakeholders.
Beneficiary Institution: Ministry of Energy, Development and Environmental Protection, Republic of Serbia Member State Institution: Umweltbundesamt (Environment Agency Austria) Project Duration: 24 months, October 2010 – March 2013 Funding: Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA) of the European Union Project Budget: EUR 1.5 Million